Creative New Zealand supports the translation of New Zealand literature into foreign languages with the Translation Fund scheme. Administered by the Publishers Association of New Zealand, these grants can contribute up to 50% of the translation cost to a maximum of NZ$5000 per title.
The Translation Fund is one of the opportunities administered by the PANZ as part of a Contract for Services with Creative New Zealand to deliver Capability Building and International Market Development Initiatives for Literature 2019–2020. You can download an application form online or contact a representative for more information.
We welcome new applications three times a year.
Deadlines for application rounds are:
5 p.m., 28 February
5 p.m., 29 June
5 p.m., 26 October
Applicants will be notified of the results of their application within four – six weeks of the closing date.
- Any established foreign publisher purchasing foreign language rights who has an active backlist of no less than four titles. No more than two grants per year will be given to any one publisher.
- Sales and translation contracts must be completed and signed at time of application and include a firm commitment to publish regardless of the outcome of the application.
- The translation must be prior to printing stage at time of application.
- Priority will be given to applications that demonstrate alignment with Creative New Zealand’s other international market development activities
Eligible genres include:
- biography and autobiography
- children’s fiction excluding picture books
- narrative non-fiction
- literary criticism
NB: Non-fiction projects will be assessed on their literary merit and their contribution to the development of New Zealand literature.
The application process is simple and is completed by emailing required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. The following documents must be attached:
- fully completed application form (download)
- a signed licence agreement
- a signed translator’s contract
- a copy of the translator’s CV
- an 8-10 page translation sample of the work in the application (along with the corresponding passage in English)
- a publisher profile
- up to one page outlining marketing and publicity plans for the title.
Applications are considered three times a year and we aim to have decisions advised within four-six weeks of the given deadline. Decisions are advised by email and successful applicants are required to sign a letter of agreement.
Applications are open to everybody who meets the eligibility criteria. When evaluating applications, particular weighting may be given to applications which offer larger potential readerships due to:
- potential audience in the territory
- publisher size and or reputation
- publisher marketing investment
- Creative New Zealand strategic objectives.
For more details on the assessment process see below.
An external peer assessor will assess your application. Recommendations are made to Creative New Zealand’s Senior Manager for Arts Development Services for a decision.
Does the application demonstrate the involved parties have the capability to deliver against objectives of the Translation Fund?
We look for the following indicators:
- The translator’s CV shows the translator has the requisite skills and experience to complete an excellent translation of the original work
- The original work has received a degree of critical or sales success in New Zealand
- The publisher is well-known and/or has a solid reputation
- The application demonstrates a track record of supporting New Zealand literature
- The marketing plan demonstrates a commitment to promote the title widely using a range of different media
- The potential audience in the territory is large.
Does the translation align with other Creative New Zealand International programmes for example Te Manu Ka Tau, Flying Friends or the International Promotional Fund for Literature?
This assessment scale is used to score Capability
3 = Exceeds indicator
2 = Meets indicator
1 = Indicator not met
2 = Aligns with two other CNZ International programmes
1 = Aligns with one other CNZ International programme
Note: Double weight is applied to Strategic Fit
You can make up to two applications per year. Each application must be for a different project.
You can only reapply for the same project if you have written permission from PANZ. Contact PANZ first to see if your application is eligible for re-submission.
Grant payment is made on receipt of three print copies of the translated edition, complete with Creative New Zealand logo and acknowledgement text on the copyright page of the book, and submission of an invoice.
Successful applicants will be required to provide follow-up information on the number of copies sold, as well as any comments on their involvement with the scheme.
For further information or to enquire about submitted applications please contact:
Katherine Shanks, Membership Services Manager, email@example.com
Publishers Association of New Zealand PO Box 33319, Takapuna, Auckland 0740 New Zealand