The International Career Development Fund
The International Career Development Fund is aimed at senior and mid-career publishing staff, to fund participation in an international course, fellowship or internship (online or in person). The fund will be used to further big ambitions and career-changing initiatives: much of the benefit of the programme will be in the long-term relationships developed with other professionals working in the same area.
Applications will be called twice yearly. Funding is limited and applications are eligible for a maximum of $3,000 funding.
From June 2021, priority will be given to applicants who have not been successful applicants of this fund previously, in order to better reflect the clearly articulated needs of PANZ members and our changing industry and labour market.
- Be currently employed by a member of PANZ
- Be able to demonstrate the support of their employer in their application
- Have been involved in the New Zealand publishing industry for at least 12 months
- Attendance at relevant international courses such as the Oxford Brookes Publishing Course or the Yale Publishing Course
- International internships researched and initiated by the applicant such as the Curtis Brown internship
- Courses and fellowships such as book fair fellowships
- Online or digital-only courses, qualifications, fellowships and other opportunities delivered by reputable, qualified providers with proven links to the publishing industry internationally
- Applicants need to demonstrate in their application the significance a successful application will have to their career
- The applicant must have the explicit, written support and approval of his or her own employer in their application.
- Applicants should include letters of support from three members of the industry
- Applicants will be required to report in writing directly to PANZ within six weeks of the conclusion of their course/fellowship/internship/return to NZ using the form provided, and to give a public presentation to PANZ members when opportunity arises (such as conference)
- Applicants will be asked to keep a travel diary or blog during the time they are away
- Funding will be awarded twice-annually by an independent committee established by PANZ council
- Applications must be made using the relevant form
- Funding awards will be for a maximum of $3,000
- Funding will be awarded at the discretion of the committee and correspondence will not be entered into
PANZ will award funding on confirmation of course/fellowship/internship booking and receipt of an invoice Applicants unable to attend their designated course/fellowship/internship must inform PANZ as soon as possible and will be required to reapply in a subsequent round if they wish to attend at a later date and any funding must be repaid in full to PANZ.
Applications for the International Career Development fund will be called twice yearly (July and February).
Download an International Career Development Application Form below.
Yale Publishing Course: Leadership Strategies – Connecticut, USA
This interactive programme at Yale Univeristy offers a distinctive educational experience for mid- to senior-level publishing professionals. The cutting-edge curriculum tackles crucial issues — from innovative ways to increase revenues and integrate print and digital strategies to brand extension in the global economy. The programme combines provocative lectures with smaller group discussions and mentoring sessions with expert industry leaders and faculty members from the Yale School of Management. Enrolment is limited to 70 participants.
Frankfurt Book Fair, Germany – Frankfurt Book Fair Fellowship
Guadalajara International Book Fair – FIL Rights Exchange Programme
International Publishing Fellowship – Publishing Scotland
ITEF-Istanbul Tanpinar Literature Festival ITEF — Professional Meetings Fellowship Programme.
Jerusalem International Book Fair – The Zev Birger Fellowship.
Salon du Livre, Paris – BIEF Fellowship Programme.
Taipei International Book Fair Fellowship Programme, Taiwan.
Winston Churchill Memorial Trust Fellowship.