CLNZ adds $50,000 per year to the Cultural Fund for the next three years
• $25,000 for new writers’ award to open in 2016
• contestable funding increased – application process now open
The CLNZ Cultural Fund has a new three-year plan that will make significant investments in New Zealand writing and publishing. In 2016, 2017 and 2018, the Fund has been allocated an additional $50,000 per year. This additional money is not from domestic licensing revenue but from overseas revenue that is non-title specific.
The new investment plan adds to the existing programmes run through the Cultural Fund and responds to feedback from the New Zealand writing community and the publishing industry on the Cultural Fund programmes.
The objectives of the Cultural Fund are to:
• protect – writers and publishers’ ability to earn revenue from their works
• support – the creation and production of new works and assist the commercial success of New Zealand works
• grow – the number of works created and skills in the industry
Cultural Fund programme overview 2016–18
Over the next three years, while the investment plan is place, the full Cultural Fund programme of activities to meet these objectives will comprise:
• CLNZ/NZSA Research Grants: more information
• Contestable fund: more information below
• PANZ Training Fund: more information
• Publishing industry economic impact reports
• Tertiary scholarships: these scholarships to tertiary students are under development
• Writers’ award: a new writers’ award will open in 2016, more information below
New writers’ award to open in 2016
As part of our Cultural Fund three-year investment plan, CLNZ is establishing a new award for writers. This will open in 2016 and one award of $25,000 will be made to a writer each year for the next three years. Feedback from the writing community has made it clear that awards that give writers the time to write are valued and necessary. The new award has been developed in recognition of this feedback.
The new award will feature broad and inclusive criteria to allow writers across a variety of genres, including those with an educational focus, to apply.
A full set of criteria and application dates for this award will be made available in early 2016.
Contestable funding application process open for 2015
Updates to the contestable funding process have also been made as part of the Cultural Fund’s new three year investment plan and we are now inviting applications for 2015 funding.
Project and applicant eligibility are set out in the contestable fund guidelines.
Please read the guidelines carefully before applying.
The total annual level of funding available has increased to a minimum of $60,000. This will be made available through one application process per year.
The funding requested in your application should be appropriate for the scale and reach of the project and take into account contributions from any partners or other funders.
The number of successful projects will vary from year-to-year and will depend on the individual merits of the applications received.