The Coalition for Books is a dynamic leadership organisation, charged with rolling out strategic, collaborative initiatives designed to engage more audiences with a diverse range of New Zealand books and authors. Established only two years ago, the sector-led Coalition now boasts over 40 organisations as members, is an active sector advocate, and has delivered myriad successful promotional campaigns across key calendar events. Core to its activities and broadening reach is the digital book platform Ketebooks.co.nz.
The Board is seeking to appoint a part-time, fixed-term contractor, tasked with delivering to the Coalition’s strategic plan and managing a programme of high-impact and effective activities throughout 2022. This includes the day to day running of the organisation, alongside managing a part-time digital/social media coordinator and the part-time editor of Kete.
Reporting to its Chair and to the Board, the Manager for the Coalition for Books can be Auckland or Wellington based. Previous book or creative sector experience is essential. The Coalition recognises tangata whenua as central to its kaupapa, including support for Māori-led initiatives, Māori writers and publications in both te reo Māori and English.
To be successful in this role you will need:
• High level skills in project management, including budgeting, and able to launch and manage high impact events on limited resources
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
• An ability to manage relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders from across the book and creative sectors
• Proven ability to secure outside funding and an understanding of the arts funding and grant environment
• Ability to move easily in cross-cultural environments, especially with mana whenua and Pasifika
• Good networks within the literary sector
• An entrepreneurial drive with a desire to be innovative and to set new standards
• Strong initiative and deadline-driven, with capacity to multi-task and work independently
• Ability to secure and manage the services of highly skilled contractors as required
• Ability to work within a small team and with a Board
• Ability to scope and develop publicity and marketing opportunities.
• Ability to copy-write for marketing materials and a Coalition e-newsletter and experience with social media
• Proficiency with relevant computer software, including MSOffice, Squarespace, InDesign, Excel, and Word
• Financial acumen is essential. Some familiarity with Xero would be desirable
Applications including cover letter and CV, can be made in confidence to the Chair of the Board at email@example.com.
Applications will close on Monday, January 24th